Are you like us and can't eat fresh produce fast enough before it goes bad? I have this problem with spinach, kale, lettuce, and cilantro... Even in eating/cooking with those things multiple times in one week, much of it ends up in the trash :(
I've been chopping and freezing onions, bell peppers, and cabbage for a while... why not some of my greens?
I've seen cilantro and other herbs frozen w/ olive oil... so when I stumbled upon freezing spinach and kale, I gave it a shot... next time with an ice cube tray not a mini muffin tin.
Earlier this week, I noticed our spinach was wilting so I knew if we didn't eat it that day, it'd be dumped the next day... so I went to work... I pureed probably 2 cupfuls of spinach with half a cup of water in the blender... then poured it into my muffin tin and froze it.
After popping them out of the tin... which was quite a chore (why you need an ice cube tray- they're. Meant to bend) I stuck the frozen cubes into a ziplock bag. So now when we're having a shake, I throw about 4 cubes into a cup and blend it up well with whatever else is in it. You can't even taste the spinach! Added vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, protein, and calcium in every cup :) And no more waste!
No comments:
Post a Comment