Quinoa/Brown Rice/White Rice Blend
(1) cup of quinoa
(1) cup of brown rice
(1) cup of white rice
Soak all of the above in water for about 20-30 minutes, rinse and drain a few times, then cook together (I use my rice steamer so I can walk away). I started making this concoction because lil and big guys are not fans of quinoa or brown rice so the white rice helps.
Sweet Potatoes and Regular Potatoes
(2-3) sweet potatoes
(2-3) white potatoes
Rinse the skins off, poke holes in them with forks, then bake for 45-60 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. Wrapping them in foil is your choice. The boys won't eat sweet potatoes so they are all mine :) Instead of baking them whole, you can quarter the potatoes and roast them that way. While I don't add seasoning to the sweet potatoes, if I quarter the white potatoes I will sprinkle them in a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder... white potatoes are so plain!
Whole Wheat Pasta or Tri-Color Pasta
(1) box whole wheat pasta... rotini, penne, macaroni... etc...
(1) box or bag of tri-color pasta
I don't cook pasta too often. It's too heavy and starchy for my tastes but when I do- as you probably do too- I cook too much of it. I like to save the leftovers to toss with leftover meats throughout the week (ie: chicken, steak... sometimes with tuna).
Spaghetti Squash
(1) spaghetti squash (size depends on WHO in your family will eat this).
Poke holes into skin/flesh, bake on 350 for 45-60 minutes depending on size. Let cool, cut in half length wise, scoop out all of the seeds... using a fork pull the strands of squash out (should look like stringy spaghetti).
Spaghetti squash can be tossed with spaghetti sauce, alfredo sauce, even cheesy sauce. I like to toss mine with red pepper flakes, tamari (gluten free soy sauce), a tiny drizzle of sesame oil, sesame seeds, and chopped green onions- yummy yummy in my tummy!
Vegetables
- Broccoli
- Cauliflower
- Squashes (ie: zucchini, summer, etc)
- Egg plants
No comments:
Post a Comment