Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Baked Onion Petals

This concoction was supposed to be a baked blooming onion... but I cut too far so these became baked blooming petals... My husband, the nice guy that he is, jokingly called my attempt the blooming failure... butthead! The petals were going to end up pulled off anyhow but I really wanted the "onion bloom"... next time!

INGREDIENTS
• (1) large Vidalia onion
• (2) eggs
• 1/2 cup Panko bread mix
• Cajun seasoning
• Salt, pepper, or other seasonings.

SAUCE
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 1 tbsp mayo or Greek yogurt
• 1/2 tsp horseradish

TOOLS
• knife
• cutting board
• (2) mixing bowls
• oven safe pan
• parchment paper

Pre-heat oven to 350°

After taking off the skin and outer most layer of the onion, cut off the top. I attempted to use an apple wedge to slice the onion but the onion was too hard for me so I went back to the knife... unlike me, do not cut too low if you want the blooming affect! Cut several sections into the onion.

If you cut too low like I did, go ahead and cut all the way through where it falls completely apart.

If you cut it correctly, according to the recipe, you should be able to spread the "petals" to fan out like you see at the restaurants.

Cover baking pan with parchment paper and place onion on top.

Beat the two eggs and coat onion petals thoroughly.

Mix the panko with your seasonings and sprinkle heavily over egg-coated onion petals.

Bake for 30-40 minutes. Delicious for being baked and not fried! You can eat the entire onion, panko mix, egg mixture... etc... for under 300 calories which beats 1200+ calories for the fried version... and who knows how much fat!

We didn't have horseradish... so I just mixed ketchup with hot sauce and black pepper- the petals were good with and without sauce!

#husbandapproved
#sonapproved

No comments:

Post a Comment